Saturday, August 4, 2018

What Limp?



Seaview Cafe - our favorite
We started out this week with a dinner at our favorite restaurant (The Seaview Cafe) where we enjoyed dinner with the Mafi family again.  We have had so much fun getting to know them even though it's only been a couple of short periods of time together it seems like we've know each other forever.  I suppose that happens when you have the opportunity to communicate via email occasionally.  We do feel like we already know many of our missionaries moms and dads just due to sharing occasional emails or instant messages.


Anti-Shock Adjustable
Folding Hiking Walking
Travel Stick Handle
Cane Non-slip L
Now I'm not looking for sympathy or laughter but the cane I ordered on-line out of China finally arrived.  I guess it has been here for a while but for some reason most of our mail goes to the distribution center instead of the Mission office.  The item description is: 'Anti-Shock Adjustable/Folding Hiking Walking Travel Stick Handle Cane Non-slip L' (it has a built in LED flashlight and a safety strap too).  I don't use it for walking just yet but it really helps me stand by taking much pressure off of my knee.  I just leave it by my chair at the table where I do all my computer work.  Okay, you can laugh just a little ...  I know Lepeka did and I got a pretty good smile out of it myself.


Raw photo taken with my iPhone 6+ w/no color filter.


We have become used to seeing the beautiful sunsets in Tonga and we often go to the blowholes on the Southwest side of the island just to watch the sun go down, but over the past month or two we have also seen some incredible sunrises.  This sunrise happened on Wednesday morning (August 1st, 2018).  It was so stunning and vivid I had to quickly find a spot to pull over near the industrial park in Houmakelkau.  The window of opportunity is pretty small (usually minutes) so when you see one you like you had better be ready with the camera ASAP.

iPhone Orthodontia
I know I have mentioned the death of my iPhone 6+ recently but I disliked my cheap Droid replacement so much that I had to find a way to get my old iPhone to take a charge.  I finally found that if I wrap a rubber band around the cable ... then loop it up over the top of the phone ... then prop it up on a charger just right and ever so carefully, I can get it to charge (at least sometimes).  I'm hoping I can make it last so I'm using my phone's battery very judiciously so I only have to charge it about once every three days.  If you look closely you can also see the spring from a ball point pen I put on the base of the wire to make it lasts (this is a highly recommended hack for your iPhone or iPad lightning connector).  I guess I should be happy with getting six years out of the phone but I am still hoping for three more months.  By then the new iPhone models should be out as well.

What's for breakfast today?  Nut-n-Honey.  Video of feeding time and a still shot of our brood.


Our version of Kate plus Eight.
Last minute note:  We did notice that we have four more baby chicks today (no photo yet).

Wee wee wee all the way home!
(photo taken from the car window)
We had the chance to speak with a few of our grandchildren on the phone this past week on they birthdays.  When we called and sang to Paige, she mentioned that she wanted us to bring her home a pig.  Well the best we can probably do is a photo but fortunately for us those photo ops are everywhere.

Elder and Sister Busby
We have been trying to find a time to have lunch with the Busby's since December of last year but every time we scheduled it something came up.  We were finally able to get together at Carpe Diem on Friday and even though several things kept changing we both stayed flexible and made it work.   They are currently the Senior Missionary District Leaders and are from Pleasant Grove.  They were both in education and have worked with the ITEP program here (teacher development).  I'm sure we'll see them when we return.  They are a lot of fun and are pretty much the same age as we are (within months).

On Saturday we were supposed to go on our whale watching excursion with the Hudsons.  We arrived on time but were told the water was too rough to go out today so we were postponed for one week.  We did however drive to the other side of the island to visit the owners at a new resort that is scheduled to open before the end of the year.  It is right on the heel of the island and is most likely going to be called "okay we all forgot". but I predict it will have a name.  It was under construction when Gita came and took a direct hit.  It is constructed well enough that they sustained no damage to the 5 fales they have built.  They say they are about 85% ready and are really excited to start taking bookings.  We'll send out a reference to their website when it is up and running.  Here are a few shots of the resort and their views.

View from behind one of the Fales.

View from the deck of the guest pavilion (for lack of a better term)

Phil point out something very interesting to Jan from the deck (this photo was not staged)
We'll leave you with a few more random photos from Tonga.  Whale watching photos next week ... hopefully!

I climbed way high in the tree to get this close-up photo
either that or it was a very short tree.

Cement work at Longolongo

A bunch of bananas (photo I missed on last week's post.

Father and son out working in the uta (bush).  Photo credit to Phil

Trees waving goodbye to the missionaries who went home to their families today.

Us ... longing for ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment